Fifth Sunday of Easter – Liturgy Preparation
Today’s liturgy puts the life-giving words of Jesus before us. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life, the one in whom we can place all our trust. Because we believe these things, we gather to praise God.
Penitential Rite: Trusting in divine forgiveness, let us call to mind our sins: (pause) Lord Jesus, you raise us to new life, etc
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Acts 6:1-7 — This describes the selection of the first deacons, a response to a pressing need in the early Church.
1 Peter 2:4-9 — Peter writes about our calling as Christians.
John 14:1-12 — Jesus describes himself as our saviour, the one who prepares a place for us.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider)
The Lord looks on those who revere him, so let us make our prayers known to him.
Intercessions (announced by the deacon, cantor, or another person)
- For those who serve the Church as deacons, that they may be good servants of God’s people. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all who serve humanity in the caring professions, that they may be concerned for the spirit as well as the body. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For people at risk: widows, orphans, the homeless, the poor, that the Christian community may always see to their care. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those are anxious in the face of suffering and death, that the Lord’s words may console them. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all who have left this world, in the hope of rising again (especially N & N), that they may be where Christ is, eternally. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Father in heaven, we place all our hope in you, as we entrust these prayers to your love, confident that you will grant them, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Other Liturgical Suggestions
Penitential Rite c-vi. Or replace with the blessing and sprinkling of holy water (given at the start of Mass in the Roman Missal; use prayer c — Easter Season.The Gloria follows the sprinkling.) Preface of Easter 3. Eucharistic Prayer 1. Solemn Blessing 7 (Easter Season).
‘Be Not Afraid’; ‘May Your Love Be Upon Us, O Lord’; ‘Take and Eat’.