16th Sunday in Ordinary Time — Liturgy Preparation
We have been called together by the Spirit of God to celebrate the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. The Spirit teaches us to pray, and moves us to glorify the Lord’s name.
Penitential Rite: To prepare ourselves for this celebration, let us call to mind our weakness and God’s strength: (pause) You raise the dead to life in the Spirit…..
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Wisdom 12:13, 16-19 — God is a lenient judge, who understands our weakness.
Romans 8:26-27 — St Paul teaches that the Spirit comes to help us in our weakness.
Matthew: 24-43 — Within God’s family there will always be faithful and unfaithful members, just as fields yield both wheat and weeds. God will sort them out at the end of time.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) Brothers and sisters, the Spirit helps us choose words to pray properly. Open to the Spirit’s help, let us bring our needs to the Father:
- For all who try to live as Christians, that they may have the grace to rise above the evil around them. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those who have never known faith, that the Good News of salvation may reach them. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For people who are finding life difficult at the moment, that the goodness of friends may reassure them of God’s care. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For the young, as they search for truth, that the seed of faith sown in them may bear abundant fruit. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those whose earthly journey is over (especially N and N),that our forgiving God may welcome them home. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of love and compassion, you do marvellous deeds: attend to the sound of our voice and take pity on us, we pray, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Other Liturgical Suggestions Penitential Rite c-v. First Opening Prayer. Full form of Gospel provides a selection of images for the homily and an explanation of the first parable. (Shorter form: Matthew 13:24-30.) Preface of Sundays in Ordinary Time 8. Eucharistic Prayer 2. Solemn Blessing 12 (Ordinary Time 3).
Songs ‘How Great Thou Art’; ‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘Spirit of the Living God’.