17th Sunday in Ordinary Time – Liturgy Preparation
God has given us many gifts, including the promise that we will share in Christ’s glory. We give thanks for these treasures, as we continue on our journey to the fullness of the kingdom of heaven.
Penitential rite: To prepare ourselves for this act of worship, let us call to mind our sins and God’s faithfulness: (pause) Lord Jesus, you have shown us the way to the Father…
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
1 Kings 3:5, 7-12 — Solomon is offered any gift he chooses and opts for the gift of wisdom.
Romans 8:28-30 — Paul explains that God turns everything to good for those who love him.
Matthew 13:44-52 — Jesus describes the kingdom of heaven using many parables.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) Let us bring our prayers before our God of wisdom and love:
- That all Christians may be inspired to continue along the path to the Kingdom by the treasure that awaits them. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- That the people of Norway may find strength and courage in the face of Friday’s terror attacks. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- That the men and women who govern nations may have the wisdom of the great leader Solomon. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- That those affected by drought in Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia, may receive the food they so desperately need. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- That the victims of abuse in Ireland may find justice — and healing. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- That those whose life on earth is over may reach their eternal home in heaven (especially N & N). (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of wisdom and love, your will is wonderful indeed: Hear the prayers we make and help us live by your precepts, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Other Liturgical Suggestions Penitential Rite c-vii. First opening prayer. The shorter form of the Gospel may be used (Matthew 13:44-46). Preface of Sundays in Ordinary Time 6. Eucharistic Prayer 3. Solemn Blessing 13 (Ordinary Time 4).
Songs ‘Lord of All Hopefulness’; ‘Be Not Afraid’; ‘Go Tell Everyone’