23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time – Liturgy Preparation
We gather as God’s family, concerned for each other, supporting one another in sadness and joy. The challenge of living as part of the Christian family is laid out for us in today’s readings.
Penitential Rite: At times we fail to show love, so as we make a new start at this time of year, we ask forgiveness: (pause) I confess …
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Ezekiel 33:7-9 — God tells Ezekiel he will be held accountable for his task as a prophet.
Romans 13:8-10 — Paul insists that what is done in love cannot hurt another.
Matthhew 18:15-20 — Jesus shows how love can sometimes include confrontation.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) As members of God’s flock, let us confidently bring forward our prayers:
- For the prophets called to challenge God’s people, that they may never be afraid to speak the truth. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all the members of the Church, that we may courageously help each other to become more Christian. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those who live close to us, that our neighbours may receive love and understanding from us. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all who are returning to school, students and teachers alike, that they may have gifts of wisdom and understanding. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those who have gone before us in faith (especially N and N), that the Good Shepherd may include them in the heavenly flock. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For our own needs, for those who have asked our prayers — especially those we remember now: (Long pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O God our creator, you are the rock who saves us: listen to our voice and help us in our needs, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Other Liturgical Suggestions
Penitential Rite a (Confiteor). Or the Rite could be replaced with the Blessing and Sprinkling of Holy Water, to mark the new beginning the September brings (texts given before the Penitential Rite in the Roman Missal). First opening prayer. Preface of Sundays in Ordinary Time 8. Eucharistic Prayer 1. Solemn Blessing 14 (Ordinary Time 5) or Blessing 3, for the Beginning of the New (School) Year.
‘Love is His Word’; ‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘This is My Will’