25th Sunday in Ordinary Time — Liturgy Preparation
Gods ways are not our ways. God’s love and generosity are beyond our understanding. We acknowledge all God has done for us, and ask for the grace to grow into God’s likeness.
Penitential Rite: To prepare ourselves to celebrate the generosity of God, let us remember our need of divine help: (pause)
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 55:6-9 — Both the first reading and Gospel remind us that God’s generosity exceeds our expectations. As high as the heavens are above the earth are God’s ways different from ours, proclaims Isaiah.
Philippians 1:20-24, 27 — Paul tells us that Christ means everything to him.
Matthew 20:1-16 — Jesus uses a story to show that God makes individual arrangements with each of his servants.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) The Lord is close to all who call, so we ask for help in our needs:
- For all who follow the Christian way, that they may learn to rejoice in God’s boundless generosity. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For this community, that all may find a welcome here, newcomers and longtime residents alike. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For workers and those who employ others, that industrial peace may result from the rights of all being respected. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those who cannot find work, that their needs may not be forgotten. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all the sick, particularly those coming to the end of their earthly life, that they may experience comfort on the journey to their Father’s house. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those who gone before us in faith (especially N and N), that the Lord’s generosity may assure them of a place in the kingdom. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of kindness and compassion, you are close to all who call upon you: hear the prayers we make to you, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Other Liturgical Suggestions
Penitential Rite c-v. Or replace it with the Blessing and Sprinkling of Holy Water, with prayer B. Alternative opening prayer. Preface of Sundays in Ordinary Time 7. Eucharistic Prayer 3. Solemn Blessing 12 (Ordinary Time 3).
Songs ‘Be Thou my Vision’; ‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘Now Thank We All Our God’.