We gather this autumn time to give thanks to God for feeding people in town and country alike through the marvels of creation. We believe that those who trust in God’s providence are not disappointed, but are fed from the abundance of divine riches.
Penitential Rite: Delighting in God’s care, let us call to mind moments of doubt and weakness: (pause) Lord Jesus, you raise us to new life…
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Joel 2:21-24, 26-27 — When harvest time comes, God’s people will not be disappointed.
1 Corinthians 3:6-10 — People labour to produce the harvest, but God is behind it all.
Luke 17:11-19 — Saying ‘thank you’ may be rarely done, but it is always appreciated — even by the Lord.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) Brothers and sisters, we gather at the fall of the year to give praise for we have received. Let us bring our prayers to God, who will always be our help.
- For farmers, fishermen and all who work to put food on our tables, that they may see the creator’s hand at work in all that they do. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those who process our food, transport it and serve it for us, that they may know their role in God’s plan for the world. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For people who suffer from hunger and thirst in many countries, that those with plenty to eat and drink may never fail to share. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For the members of our comunity who are in any kind of need, that we may make God’s care known through our words and deeds. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For the dead, for all who have passed on since last year’s harvest,that they may share joyfully in the banquet of heaven. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- We take a moment’s quiet prayer for our own particular needs of today: (Long pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God our creator, you never fail to provide for all your creatures: hear the prayers we make in faith and trust, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Penitential Rite c-vi. Mass prayers for ‘After The Harvest’, Roman Missal pages 832 to 833, or ‘Thanksgiving’, pages 844 to 845. Readings from Lectionary Volume III, pages 642 to 648, or from the ‘Thanksgiving’ selection (686-700). If Mass is celebrated: Preface of Weekdays IV. Eucharistic Prayer 2. Solemn Blessing 11 (Ordinary Time 2).
Songs ‘Holy God’; ‘Sing a New Song Unto the Lord’; ‘Now Thank We All Our God.