First Sunday of Lent — Prayers of the Faithful etc
Today we celebrate the first Sunday of Lent. All over the world today, people of all ages are beginning their preparation for baptism at the Easter Vigil. Like them, we begin our own preparations for Easter, looking forward to renewing our baptismal vows and being blessed with Easter water. Penitential Rite: As we begin this year’s lenten journey, let us acknowledge our sinfulness: (pause) I confess …
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Genesis 9:8-15 — Includes the story of the Great Flood and the rainbow, two reminders of God’s care. Christians think of the waters of baptism when they read about the Flood, because out of it came new life.
1 Peter 3:18-22 — The story of the Noah’s ark is interpretted by Peter. Through baptism, God saves a lot more people than were saved by the ark.
Mark 1:12-15 — On the first Sunday of Lent each year, the story of Jesus’ temptation is read – this year, as Mark recorded it.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) As we begin the lenten journey, let us remember all those in need.
- For Pope N, our Bishop N and all our leaders in faith — we pray. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For the people of Uganda, whom this year’s Trócaire campaign focuses on — we pray (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For the hungry, the poor and the homeless — we pray. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For this community, and particularly for those who are sick — we pray. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For N & N who died recently and N & N whose anniversaries occur,and for all who have died — we pray. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For our own needs and intentions — we pray. (Long pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of all goodness, you have shown love from the dawn of creation: make us know your ways, and give us your help, we pray, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Purple vestments, purple banners, purple cloths: few or no flowers. Penitential Rite a (Confiteor). Gloria omitted, no Alleluia. Preface of the First Sunday of Lent (Roman Missal page 78. Eucharistic Prayer 2. Prayer over the People given with Mass texts on page 79, followed by the simple blessing: ‘And may Almighty God bless you, the Father, + and the Son, and the Holy Spirit’.)
Songs: ‘Be Not Afraid’; ‘Attende Domine’; ‘God of Mercy and Compassion’.