26th Sunday Ordinary time – Bidding prayers etc
All are welcome in this place: anyone who is not against us is for us. All may gather here to worship God our Saviour.
Penitential rite: To prepare ourselves to celebrate the sacred mysteries, let us call to mind our sins against God and each other: (pause) I confess…
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Numbers 11:25-29 — Moses is asked to prevent some followers from acting as prophets, but declines. God’s gifts are for all, not just a few.
James 5:1-6 — James condemns the rich, those who perceive they have no need of God.
Mark 9:38-43, 45, 47-48 — Jesus teaches his followers to recognise people who are helpful, and shows them how to deal with obstacles to faith.
Introduction (by the Presider) Brothers and sisters, let us make our needs known to the Lord.
- For all who follow Christ, that they may encourage others to believe (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those called to minister in the Church, that they may be good servants (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the wealthy, that those with plenty may remember to share (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the poor, that those with little wealth may use their gifts and talents for in God’s service (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the people in our community who are sick, that the Lord may raise them up (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who have died (N and N), and all our people who have gone before us in faith, that they may receive the reward of their labours (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Eternal God, you give wisdom to those who rely on you, Send us the grace we need each day, we beseech you, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Other Liturgical Suggestions
Penitential Act, page 379 (Confiteor). Preface II of Sundays in Ordinary Time, page 442. Eucharistic Prayer II. Solemn Blessing 13 (Ordinary Time V, page 555). Songs ‘Be Thou My Vision’; ‘The Lord Hears the Cry of the Poor’; ‘One Bread, One Body’; ‘If God is For Us’.