27th Sunday Ordinary Time – Bidding prayers etc
During this month of October, we thank God for the beautiful gift of life, as we answer the missionary call to spread the Good News to the world. We pray today that human life will be protected and we remember missionaries, who spread the Christian message. And, each day, we praise God’s constant care for all people and ask for continuing support. Penitential rite: We are always loved by God: let us remember the times we failed to show love to each other: (pause) Lord Jesus, you came to reconcile us to one another and to the Father …
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Genesis 2:18-24 — Includes the second creation story given in the Bible: we are taught here that man and woman are meant to be together.
Hebrews 2:9-11 — On most Sundays between now and the feast of Christ the King, the second reading will be from the Letter to the Hebrews. This was written about AD 80, to show the people of the time that Jesus fulfilled the needs of Jews and Greeks alike.
Mark 10:2-16 — Jesus instructs his followers about family life, repeating the teaching given in Genesis and telling all to be as trustful as little children.
Introduction (by the Presider) The Lord blesses us all our days, so let us ask for help and strength.
- For all who follow Christ, that they may have the trustfulness of little children (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who have been joined together in the Sacrament of Marriage, that God’s grace may continue to work in them, especially in difficult times (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For single people, the widowed and separated, that they may be blessed with good friends on their journey through life (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For children, that they may grow wiser each day and show us all the way to the kingdom (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those yet to be born, that unborn children may be protected and that all Irish people may ‘choose life’ (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For our friends who have died, that they may enter their heavenly homeland (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O Lord our God, you bless those who trust in your ways: hear the prayers we make in faith, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Liturgical Suggestions Today is Day for Life in Ireland and Scotland, and England & Wales: the 2012 theme is ‘Choose Life’. Penitential Act III (page 1386). Gospel (full form). Eucharistic Prayer IV, or Preface of Marriage from Ritual Mass A, page 1084 and Eucharistic Prayer 2. Solemn Blessing 14 (Ordinary Time VI, page 555). Songs: ‘Love is His Word’; ‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘Ubi Caritas (Taizé)’; ‘Make me a channel of your peace’.