Presiders Page for 8 Sept (23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time)
Opening Comment (for the Presider)
We gather to listen to God’s challenging words and to ask the grace of repentance from God who loves us first. Penitential Rite: Sure of God’s merciful love, let us call to mind our sins (pause): I confess …
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (for Ministers of the Word)
Wisdom 9: 13-19 Nothing is possible without the gift of wisdom.
Philemon 9-10, 12-17 This is the only part of Paul’s short letter to Philemon read at Sunday Mass; it is a warm letter concerning a former slave whom Paul now regards as his brother.
Luke 14: 25-33 This Gospel contains hard teachings; we are asked to carry the cross of discipleship and to give all we have to it.
Introduction (by the Presider) Let us bring our needs to God who is the source of all wisdom.
- That all who follow Christ may be wholehearted disciples (pause). Lord, hear us.
- That Christians may teach the world generosity by their own willingness to share (pause). Lord, hear us.
- That all those unjustly deprived of liberty may be freed (pause). Lord, hear us.
- That there may be peace, with justice, in nations suffering because of violence, especially Syria and Egypt (pause). Lord, hear us
- That people who live in fear of death, may know God’s love and care to the end of their days (pause). Lord, hear us.
- That we have God’s help in all our own needs, particularly those we remember now (long pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead, those who died during the week and those whose anniversaries occur (and the person/people for whom Mass is offered): That those who have died (especially N. and N.) may enjoy the gift of life without end (pause). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of the ages, you teach your people wisdom of heart, help us to trust in your care, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (for Ministers of Music): Praise My Soul the King of Heaven; Ag Críost an Síol; Take and Eat: City of God.