Presider’s Page for 6 Oct (27th Sunday / Day for Life)
Opening Comment (for the Presider)
The Spirit of God lives in us, inspiring and guarding. In the Spirit, we worship our creator and entrust ourselves to the Lord’s loving care. (‘Day for Life’ is celebrated today by the Church in Ireland, with the theme: CARING FOR LIFE: IT’S WORTH IT.) Penitential Rite: To prepare ourselves for this celebration, let us call to mind our sins: (pause) Lord Jesus, you came to gather the nations into the peace of God’s kingdom … You come in word and sacrament to strengthen us in holiness … You will come in glory with salvation for your people: Lord, have mercy.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (for Ministers of the Word)
Habakkuk 1: 2-3, 2:2-4 In difficult times, faithfulness sustains people.
2 Timothy 1: 6-8,13-14 The Spirit is powerfully present with us.
Luke 17: 5-10 The importance of having faith.
Introduction (by the Presider) Let us make our prayers known to God our creator.
- For those called to witness to Christ in today’s world, that the Spirit may fill them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the success of the Mission of the Church, that Christians may embrace the Gospel and spread its message (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all who received the Holy Spirit at Baptism and Confirmation, that the same Spirit may sustain them in difficult moments (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who want so much to believe, but find it hard, that a strong faith may grow in them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For respect for human life, from its beginnings to its last moments: that the life of every person may be valued and protected (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who feel who so crushed by life that they wish to end it, that they may feel the love of God and know they are never alone (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us
The presider prays for the dead, those who died during the week and those whose anniversaries occur (and the person/people for whom Mass is offered): That all who have died in Christ (especially N and N) may be part of God’s flock forever (pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O God you are our rock, you made us and know all our needs, listen to our prayers, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Songs (for Ministers of Music) The Lord’s My Shepherd; Ag Críost an Síol; On Eagles’ Wings; Holy God We Praise Thy Name.