Presider’s Page for Sun 24 November (Christ the King)
Opening Comment (for the Presider)
We celebrate the feast of Christ the King this Sunday, remembering that our king’s life ended on a cross. Today we worship this wounded and resurrected God, who promises us a place in Paradise. Penitential Rite: As we struggle to be our King’s true disciples, we recall our failings and his forgiving strength (pause): Lord Jesus, you are mighty God and Prince of Peace … you are Son of God and Son of Mary … you are Word made flesh and splendour of the Father: Lord, have mercy
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (for Ministers of the Word)
2 Samuel 5:1-3 The choosing of David as King of Israel in ancient times.
Colossians 1:12-20 Jesus is given all the titles a king would have.
Luke 23:35-43 On the cross, Jesus promises heaven to the good thief.
Introduction (by the Presider) With joy in our hearts on this feast, let us bring our prayers to God.
- For the Pope, the bishops and all who minister in the Church, that they may be true servants, like Christ our King (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the Jewish people, the sons and daughters of David, King of Israel, that they may continue to grow in the love of God’s name (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For world leaders and those who govern in this country, that they may protect the human rights of all who suffer (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the peoples of the Philippines and Syria, that those who need help and protection may find it (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who suffer grieviously, and all whose death is close, that Christ, the dying king of Calvary, may be their strength (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For our young people preparing for their First Communion, that they and all who remember the dead in November, may find God close to them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for all who have gone to their eternal rest (especially N ….. and N ……): that, with the good thief, they may find a place in Paradise (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Lord our God, King of the universe, you are the source of your people’s joy! Hear the prayers we make to you, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (for Ministers of Music) ‘Hail Redeemer King Divine’; ‘All That I Am’; ‘Praise to the Holiest in the Height’; ‘How Great Thou Art’.