Presider’s Page for 2nd Sunday of Advent (8 December)
Opening Comment (for Presiders)
John the Baptist is the focus of the Gospel reading on the Second Sunday of Advent each year. His words challenge and inspire. We worship God who uses many messengers to call us from darkness to light. Penitential Rite: As we prepare to listen to John the Baptist’s message of repentance, let us call to mind our own need to repent (pause). I confess …
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (for Ministers of the Word)
Isaiah 11:1-10 Isaiah looks forward to the coming of a messiah, who will restore harmony and justice.
Romans 15:4-9 Paul reminds us that the scriptures were written to teach about God’s promises.
Matthew 3:1-12 John the Baptist’s call to repentance is described by Matthew.
Introduction (by the Presider) Let us bring our prayers before God, who has pity on the weak.
- For a spirit of repentance among all believers, we pray … (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For peace where it is most lacking (especially in Syria), we pray … (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For reconciliation between those who are at war, we pray .. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For the people of the Philippines, that their suffering may be relieved ... (Pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us
- For members of the St Vincent de Paul Society and for all who care for those in need … (Pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us
- For our children, in this season of anticipation, we pray … (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
The presider prays “for those we have lost to death (especially N and N)” (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O God, you save the poor when they cry to you, hear the prayers of all your people, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (for Ministers of Music) O Come O Come Emmanuel; The Lord Hears the Cry of the Poor; The Lord Will Heal the Broken Heart.