Presider’s Page for Ordinary Time 5 (Sun 9 Feb)
Opening Comment (for Presiders)
In today’s liturgy, we hear that we are the salt of the earth and the light of the world. Rejoicing in this calling, we praise God who sustains us all our days.
Alternative Opening prayer (from the 1998 ICEL Missal)
you have called your Church
to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world.
Give us vigorous faith and a love that is genuine,
so that all may see our works
and give you the glory.
We make our prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (for Ministers of the Word)
Isaiah 58: 7-10 — Isaiah suggests some ways of living a good life.
1 Corinthians 2:1-5 — In Paul’s letter to the people of Corinth, he speaks of his reliance on the power of God.
Matthew 5:13-16 — Jesus calls us to be examples of Christian living.
Introduction (by the Presider) Let us bring our prayers to the Lord, in whom we place our trust.
- For Christians, that their example of right living may light up the world, we pray (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the missions around the world, that priests, religious and lay people may work together with generosity (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the exploited and oppressed, that they may be set free, we pray (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the hungry and homeless, that the wealthy may learn to share with them, we pray (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For older people, that the Church and society may recognise their experience and wisdom (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who share the cross, that their sufferings may not wear them out, we pray (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for those who have died, (especially N & N), that they may praise God for ever in heaven, we pray (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O God, you are the light that makes clear our way before us: Listen to the prayers we make, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (for Ministers of Music) ‘Let us build the City of God’, ‘Glory and Praise to Our God’, Walk in the Light’.