Presider’s Page for 6th Sun. Easter (25 May)
Each Sunday in Easter time, we celebrate the gifts we have received in Baptism and Confirmation. We rejoice that the Spirit is our Advocate, who continues to support us in the difficulties of life.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
who love us in Christ Jesus,
send your Spirit of truth to dwell within us,
that we may always reject what is false,
live by the commands of Christ,
and be true to the love you have shown us.
Grant this through Jesus Christ, the resurrection and the life,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Acts 8:5-8, 14-17 — Describes the continuing successes in the early Church, and the giving of the Spirit to new believers.
1 Peter 3:15-18 — Peter writes that Christians should be able to give a reason for the hope that is in them.
John 14:15-21 — Jesus repeats his commandment of love, and promises the gift of the Spirit.
Introduction (by the Presider) The works of God are tremendous, so with confidence we make our prayers known.
- For those celebrating the Sacrament of Confirmation this year — that the Spirit may always be their guide (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all the people of God — that the Spirit may help them explain their faith to friends still searching (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For Pope Francis, as he visits the Holy Land — that he may travel safely and bring hope (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the people of Jordan, Palestine and Israel — that the papal visit may lead to reconciliation and healing (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For children receiving First Communion this month — that their love for the Bread of Life may never fade (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For young people preparing for exams — that the Spirit may remind them of all they have learned (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: “For our brothers and sisters who have died (especially N & N), that they may be raised to life in the Spirit (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of love and compassion, you never reject our prayer: let your good Spirit guide us each day, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions): ‘Christ Be Beside Me’; Spirit of the Living God’; ‘Ubi Caritas (Taizé)’.