Presider’s Page for Corpus Christi (22 June)
Today’s liturgy invites us to reflect on God’s care for the family of faith, especially through the gift of divine nourishment on our pilgrimage through life.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
The bread you give, O God,
is Christ’s flesh for the life of the world;
the cup of his blood
is your covenant for our salvation.
Grant that we who worship Christ in this holy mystery
may reverence him in the needy of this world
by lives poured out for the sake of that kingdom
where he lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Deuteronomy 8:2-3, 14-16 — Contains Moses’ reminder of how God sustained his people in the desert with the gift of manna.
1 Corinthians 10:16-17 — Paul reminds us that in sharing the bread of life at Mass, we become one body.
John 6:51-58 — In the Gospel Jesus says he himself is the living bread for believers.
Introduction (by the Presider) Let us bring our prayers before the Lord, whose sons and daughters are blessed.
- For all who hold the Catholic faith — that their belief in the presence of Christ may grow stronger (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who rarely join in the Mass that the loving embrace of the Father may draw them back (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all who are hungry in a world of plenty — that we may share with those in need (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For our communities — that those who break bread together may care for each other (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who are lonely — that good friends may be sent to them (pause for qiuet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all who suffer — in mind, body or spirit — that Jesus may bring them comfort and peace (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: For those have gone before us in faith (especially N & N), that they may be raised up at the last day (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider)
God of infinite generosity, you sent your Son to share our burdens and our hopes, to be our life and strength: hear the prayers we make in his name, who lives and reigns with you, forever and ever. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (suggestions): ‘One Bread, One Body’; ‘See Us Lord About Thine Altar’; ‘I am the Bread of Life’; ‘Come To My Heart, Lord Jesus.’