Presider’s Page for Ss Peter & Paul (29 June)
Today we honour St Peter and St Paul, two ‘Founding Fathers’ of the Church. We ask God for a little of their faith and courage.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
Lord, living God,
you crowned the faith of Peter and the tireless preaching of Paul
with a share in Christ’s triumphant death.
Renew our faith through their intercession
and, by the example of their lives, rekindle our zeal for proclaiming the gospel.
Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (Mass During the Day)
Acts 12:1-11 Peter escapes from prison through God’s powerful intervention. 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18 Paul reflects on the life he has lived, the good fight he has fought, and gives all credit for it to God. Matthew 16:13-19 Peter makes his confession of faith and is named the rock on which the Church will be built by Christ.
Introduction (by the Presider) From all our terrors the Lord sets us free, so we pray with confidence:
- For Pope Francis, the Bishop of Rome, and all those in leadership positions — that their lives may be marked by loving service (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For men and women who, like St Paul, work as missionaries — that they may have his enthusiasm in spreading the Gospel (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who feel unworthy of the name of Christian — that, remembering the failings of Peter and Paul, they may rely on God’s grace (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For fisherman and all those who work on the sea, like Saint Peter, that they may be preserved from every danger (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who find Christ late in their lives, like St Paul, that the enthusiasm of their conversion may last as long as they live (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all who claim Peter and Paul as their patrons, especially those named after them — that the inspiration of the saints may encourage them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: For all our friends whose lives on earth are over (especially N & N), that having fought the good fight, they may receive the crown of righteousness (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Almighty God, you called Peter and Paul to be our leaders in faith: hear the prayers we make on their feast, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (suggestions) Shepherd Me O God; For All the Saints; Bring Forth the Kingdom; God Bless our Pope!