Ordinary Time, 18th Sunday (3 August)
Great wonders are proclaimed in today’s Liturgy. God’s love and God’s care for humanity are made manifest.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from the 1998 ICEL Missal)
Bountiful and compassionate God,
you place in the hands of your disciples the food of life.
Nourish us at your holy table,
that we may bear Christ to others
and share with them
the gifts we have so richly received.
We make our prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 55:1-3 — Contains the Lord’s invitation to those in need to have their thirst satisfied.
Romans 8:35, 37-39 — Paul beautifully describes the boundless love of Christ.
Matthew 14:13-21 — Jesus sees to it that the hungry are fed, despite his own grief at the death of John the Baptist.
Introduction (by the Presider) The Lord is kind and full of compassion, so we bring our prayers to God in confidence:
- For all the members of the Church, that we may grow in appreciation of God’s kindness (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who suffer persecution for what they believe, that good people may defend their rights (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all who hunger and thirst in a world of plenty, that Christians may reflect God’s generosity by continuing to share (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For refugees, forced to abandon their homes, that they may find a generous welcome (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all vulnerable people, that their reights may be protected (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who are travelling, on holidays or on pilgrimage, that they may travel safely and come home refreshed (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for those who have died (especially N and N) and all who have been lost in road accidents, that the grieving may realise that nothing can separate us from God’s love (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God our creator, you are close to all who call on you from their hearts:
Continue to show us your compassion and love, we pray, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) ‘The King of Love my Shepherd is’; ‘Take and Eat’; ‘Colours of Day’